Monday, December 31, 2007

Best of 2007: Comic

This is a tough one. I read a lot of comics. My gut is going with Peter Bagge's Apocalypse Nerd, and I think I need to stick with that. With this title, Pete took the angst, social-phobia and darkness that permeated Hate, and shoved it into a post-apocalyptic setting. The results were fantastic.
I can't remember exactly which issues came out in 2007, but I know for certain the final two did, at least. What a fucked issue that number five was... some really twisted shit went down. I don't want to ruin it for you, but basically Apocalypse Nerd was a pretty straightforward look at what life would really be like after a nuclear war. I don't mean in a scientifically-accurate type of way; this is pretty much about the mental breakdown of all of the characters when martial law kicks in after North Korea bombs the Pacific Northwest.
This six issue series is probably already out in trade paperback, but if not, try and track down the issues. It might be tough to do; I never see them around (but then again I don't hit up too many shops that would carry them in the first place).
Runnerup: Runoff. The final collection came out this year. Man, this was a great series. Towards the end it got a little too 'Hollywoody,' but I guess the recent news that it's going to be made into a movie by the guy that did Hellboy will do that to you. Still, it had some fantastic moments.

No comments: