Monday, January 26, 2009

Bukowski: Ding of the Creeps

I recently obtained a large collection of audio recordings by Charles Bukowski. They're either "spoken word," "live poetry," or "really shitty a cappella" in nature; the exact categorization eludes me. I must say, going in, that I am a big fan of Charles Bukowski's prose. All of his novels were at least good, some were great, and they're all pretty much interchangeable. The man could say in ten words what took other writers twice as many chapters. 
Having said that, I am certainly no fan of Bukowski's poems. As no slight to him, I should point out that I'm not a fan of anyone's poems. I feel about poetry the way Schooly G feels about comic books, and that's putting it lightly. So on these collections, there's some good stuff, and some dull stuff. Half of them seem like he's just a rank old (or, rather, young) drunk, rambling into a recorder as he tries to recount a story. Then, there are selections where he's obviously reading something he'd previously written. Most likely, of course, on a bar napkin or used handkerchief. 
But, despite all of this, there's something great about these. They're charming, they have an underground class, and they are the blueprint for a future generation's consciousness. From that perspective, these things are great. You can find them on a torrent site somewhere. 

No comments: