Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Marvel Zombies 3 4

What the fuck is it with Marvel Zombies? What is it that makes it so goddamn compelling? Is it the fact that the concept is built around two iconic creations (or, at least 'interpretations'), both germinating in the 1960s? Could it be the raw power of Sean Phillips' artwork (on the previous series)? Or is it just the fact that seeing a Jack Kirby creation rip into the jugular of another and start feasting is just too fucking cool?
Whatever it is, it works. I really enjoyed the very first Marvel Zombies series, but by the most recent output I had become a little waned. Who can blame me; how much Marvel Zombie can one man take? When I found myself flipping through an issue of Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness, a title which doesn't even seem to make grammatical sense, I knew I was in too deep. I had to get out.
Enter DCBS and their damned 75% off sales. Certain titles are featured, usually a first issue. Marvel Zombies volume 3, written by Fred van Lente (of the excellent Comic Book Comics series) and some new penciller were taking over. I was prepared to hope it got me through at least one crap; anything more than that was icing on the shitcake.
Well, it turns out I loved it. What a great fucking series! I daresay, it may be the best of the lot. Nah... the first series is still the best, but this one was fucking great. Well worth checking into when it comes out in collected form, and I hear a fourth one is already solicited. Keep 'em coming! Until they get boring....

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Review it on the show.