Friday, August 8, 2008

War Heroes: MIA

Well, I'm usually tickled pink with my service from DCBS (the Discount Comic Book Service, natch!). This month, however, I was only tickled a light shade of magenta. You see, when I received my monthly batch of funnybooks, one was missing. And it wasn't just a mere, lame old comic that was missing; it was one I was looking forward to for quite some time. Specifically, Mark Millar's "War Heroes" number one.
I buy pretty much everything Millar does. As far as mainstream superhero comics go, he's the best. Yeah, I said it; he's the best. The best currently churning out a half dozen titles per month, anyway. Naturally I was excited to see the beginning of his latest series. I was even more excited when I read that this series was based on Mark's rejected premise for "Ultimates 3." I can't imagine why the fuck Marvel would reject one of his storylines, especially for a series he pretty much started from scratch and shot to the top of the charts. Especially especially if they were going to replace it with something by that sentimental old hack, Jeph Loeb. But I digress.
The problem is, apparantly, that Diamond "shorted" orders on War Heroes #1, so I didn't get one. This really sucks, especially since I pre-ordered this damn book about seven months ago (alright, it was probably only three or four, but you get the picture). I'm reminded of that Jerry Seinfeld routine about taking reservations versus holding reservations. They took my reservation, but they sure as hell didn't hold it.
I'm guessing that DCBS is not really at fault here, and that Diamond fucked up. Who knows; maybe Image did. All I know is, I went to a few comic shops last month while I was on vacation in Boston, and I saw plenty of copies of War Heroes sitting around. I could have picked any of them up, but I put each one back on the shelf, knowing that my copy would be awaiting me at the end of the month. Guess I was wrong.
One more thing: Waaaaaahhh! Just thought I'd beat the name-callers to the punch. I realize how big of a baby I am being.

UPDATE: I got the comic in Philly last weekend. It sucked.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Why did it suck?