Sunday, November 25, 2007

Dick Tracy Could Kick His Fucking Ass

I am reading a collection of "Jim Hardy" strips, which originally ran in the 1930s. They were created by Dick Moores, which is really a hell of a moniker to get stuck with. Just try typing that one into Google images.
Moores was an assistant of Chester Gould during the 1930s, before launching his solo career. He also did the lettering, which is as great here as it is on the Dick Tracy dailies. Before reading this collection, I assumed it would be a lamer version of Dick Tracy, but that didn't turn out to be the case.
I'm not trying to imply that it was actually good, because it's really just serviceable. The artwork is very similar to Gould's, but much more cartoony. The first major storyline was really slow-paced, and basically involved the entire citizenry of a small town getting duped by some slick out-of-towner. Don't worry; Hardy scopes him out. There's really not much crime, which (for some reason) I was led to believe was the case. The genre switch didn't really phase me, but it was a little too melodramatic for my tastes. And I love Gasoline Alley.
Still and all, it's a decent comic. Compared to Gould, Caniff, Crane, or Moseley (yeah, I said it), it simply pales. Good read for the shitbox, though. After all that, I liked it much better than Joe Palooka. Way better, in fact. I believe you can get it from this publisher.

No comments: